Sunday, December 30, 2012

Long Maxi Skirt Tutorial

1. I used a yard and a .25 of a yard. I used my serger and sewing machine.


 2. I serged each short side of the skirt. 

3. I then folded over the long sides of the skirt that aren't surged, pattern sides facing each other and surged these sides together.   This will give me a long tube. 

4. Next you will turn over one of the top ends so the pattern side will be facing in.  This will only be folded over 1 to 2 inches.  I made mine bigger because of fabric issues.  But you will just need it to be able to be big enough for your elastic to fit through and sewn down. 
 5. I used a 2 inch elastic and added 1/4 inch overlap to have room for my seam.  To measure how long I just wrapped it around where I wanted it to sit and tightened it a little more so it would be more snug. 

 6. Sew your seam to fit your elastic in and leave a space about 2 inches.  Sew ends of elastic together and sew up the bottom of the seam opening.

 7.To finish it off I put a safety pin at the end of my elastic and feed it through the seam opening, this helps pull it through easier. Once fed all the way around the skirt top take off the safety pin.  



 8. The last step is to fold over your bottom hem that you surged or have sewn and sew it under.

The finished product! There are many different varieties you can do with this skirt, I'd love to hear your experiences with sewing skirts like these.  Happy Sewing!!


12 comments:

  1. So cute! Thanks for sharing the tutorial.

    Happy New Year!

    Hugs
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. good work Mik!! You just need a picture of you in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!! this is super cute! great job. Thanks for linking up with us! (please just remember to include a link back ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is darling!

    Hopping by and following your lovely blog's FB and Pinterest. I blog @ Getting Healthy with Essential Oils

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following!! I will check out your site. Have a great day.

      Delete
  5. I love your skirt. It's really cute. I have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this and any other posts with everyone. It runs from Wednesday through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2013/01/week-in-review-and-wednesdays-adorned.html
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really really want a serger...but just bought myself a new laptop. I have envy. Hopping over to say aloha. I am also a crafty blog, but drifted a bit in 2012. Just launched a 2013 crafting challenge which I'd love for you to check out. Browsing your crafts, I think you have lots to bring to the table (well link-up at the end of the month).

    Rosie (new follower)
    www.craftbotic.com
    (from Aloha hop xx)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please share your projects at www.creativecraftsthursday.blogspot.com each and every week and check out what other creative divas are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tutorial. I love the skirt, very cute. Glad you shared on I Gotta Try That.
    Hugs,
    Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute! I think our readers would really like this tutorial! Would you be so kind as to link up??

    xoxo, Jordan

    www.lilywhite-designs.com

    ReplyDelete